It's been awhile since I shared a recipe on here and a long while since I actually pulled out my good camera and used it. The natural lighting was terrible in our rental, so I didn't even attempt to photograph anything in there. While Preston was a camp yesterday, Lyla and I baked these muffins and they were so, so good! I love lemon flavored treats and this recipe is a keeper!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Ingredients For Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Ingredients For Lemon Icing
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
Method For Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs. And then add Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, poppy seeds and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- With mixer on low or mix by hand, add dry ingredients followed by buttermilk. Try to not overmix the batter.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tins, filling about 2/3 full. Bake about 15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown. Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes, then drizzle with lemon icing recipe below.
Method For Icing
- Combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and buttermilk in small bowl until completely smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
- Tip - original recipe did not call for buttermilk, but I added to mine so adjust as needed according to taste.
*original recipe from here